It is against the law to leave children at home alone if they are under 12 years of age. You must have adult supervision or get a babysitter who is over 12.
- Domestic Violence Crises Line: 1-877-977-0007
- Kids Help phone: 1-800-668-6868
Parents can pay for day care or babysitting. Some subsidy funding is available for low income families. Applications are available at child care locations. Child care costs are tax deductible if parents are working. Keep receipts from babysitters and day care services.
- Arborg Play Group,
361, 376-5109 St.Peters Street
- for children ages 1 year to 8 years old
- Arborg School Age Child Care, Arborg Early Middle School,
251 David Street, 376-2901
- before and after school hours for school-aged children
Friendly Folk Nursery School, Ardal-Geysir Lutheran Church 301 River Road West, Arborg
- for children ages 2 to 6 years old, contact Tanya Jonasson 376-5735
- Riverton Day Care Co-op,
79 Olaf Street, 378-2871 or 378-2185
- for children ages 3 months to 12 years old
- also for before and after school children
- Summer Day Camp, Arborg Arena, 437 Recreation Centre, Arborg, 376-5576
- or children ages 6 to 12 in July and August
There may be private home day-cares available.
Support for Parents
The best person to call first is a public health nurse at the:
- Arborg Community Health Office,
Arborg Provincial Building 317 River Road West, 376-5559
- Riverton Community Health Centre,
68 Main Street, 378-2460
The nurse can give you information about legally required children’s immunizations.
There are many services and programs available through the health office. They are free of cost.
- Family Services - information, counseling and family support
- Early childhood services – immunizations and routine medical care
- Step N out with Mom – one day a month for Moms and children up to 1 year of age
- Prenatal classes – to prepare for childbirth and the new baby
- Healthy baby – possible financial assistance and nutrition education during pregnancy
- Families First – home visits for families with children from pregnancy to school age.
- Children’s Special Services – for families who have children with a mental or physical disability
- Family Literacy classes in Arborg are offered for families with children ages 0 to 6 years old. Focus is on reading, learning and fun for parent and child. Phone IALA at 642-5759 to find times and location.